Tuesday, August 14, 2007

From the Tucson Airport

*Note* While I wrote this entry at the Tucson Airport yesterday, I didn't have internet access, which is why I am just posting it now.

Well, it has been two weeks already, and the next leg of my journey is about to begin. I am at the Tucson Airport, trying not to think about how sick I feel (I woke up really nauseous, who knows why) and hoping I get an aisle seat on the plane so I don't have to keep climbing over my seatmates to get to the bathroom :-)
I spent the last couple of days at NMD's humanitarian aid station on the Mexico side of the border. It was a lot of waiting around, interspersed by periods of total chaos when buses of deportees were dropped of, needing food, water, medical attention and various other things. I don't know exactly how many people came through each day, but definitely in the hundreds.
It was a pretty emotionally intense experience. One of the things I did was complete human rights abuse documention for folks who had been through some very rough stuff. I also washed feet, handed out food and water, listened to people's stories, and even walked around a bit in Nogales, Mexico.
All in all, it has been an amazing couple of weeks. I have learned a great deal about the reality of the “Borderlands” as they call them and met some very good people. I really came to love the desert, something I never would have forseen happening. It is a beautiful, but deadly place, as the stories of so many people I met attest to. I am planning on posting more of these reflections and stories over the next few weeks...
Love you all!!!

No comments: