Saturday, February 16, 2008

National Zoo

Last weekend we went to the National Zoo, and I liked it so much that I returned again today. It is fairly close to my apartment and is completely free - you just walk in, no lines or tickets, and are immediately face to face with a sloth bear, a fishing cat, or a scmitar-horned onyx. Amazing!
I like how this lizard looks so relaxed. I set it as my laptop background, but had to remove it immediately because it looks scary when it's any bigger than this.
THIS is a wallaby! It looks like a rabbit-sized kangaroo. It lives with an emu, which was obsessed with getting through the fence and into a holly bush. The emu had tiny red eyes and a frighteningly strong looking beak.
Isn't this panda cute? It was very contently eating a piece of something that looked like sugarcane.
This toucan and I spent a long time looking at each other. He kept turning his head to the side in a very cunning way. He is from somewhere between southern Mexico and Venezuela.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures and your descriptions. The lizard is YICKS! I don't like him, even if he does look relaxed. Love the panda. Why no picture of the emu? :)